Sunday, December 07, 2008

Buttery biscuits.

Nothin' says easy like Sunday morning like a batch of warm biscuits. Especially when your significant other is kind enough to make them for you. Yesterday, we were all up while it was still dark ready for a busy day of working market and selling my preserves at a holiday fair. "I'm sooooo tired!" Lili said when I tucked her in last night. "Well, at least you get to sleep in tomorrow. And Maybe we can get your Dad to make biscuits." She squealed and clapped her hands and this morning all she had to do was ask.

Look at those layers! I'm not giving the recipe for biscuits because I don't think there's anything special about it. Like a lot of baking, it just takes a little practice. Sam has gotten really good at it over the years so he's the official biscuit maker in this house. I just make the toppings.

Paradise Jelly

~This was kind of a hard sell at the holiday fair because even though its color is gorgeous (see photo at the top of the page), most people have never had quinces. They look like a mix of an apple and a pear and they are fuzzy like a peach. Oh, and they smell like pineapples. "But how do they taste?", you ask. Their flavor is hard to describe. A little flowery? Exotic? I don't know! You'll have to try it for yourself.

This was my first time making this jelly but having it on warm biscuits this morning convinced me it won't be the last. I ordered a case of quinces today.

10 pounds tart apples

5 pounds quinces

2 one-pound bags fresh cranberries

sugar (see instructions)

juice of 2 lemons

Quarter the apples and put in a large pot with the cranberries and just cover with water. Boil until apples are partially dissolved. In the meantime, quarter the quinces with a sharp knife (those suckers are hard!) and put in a second pot. Cover with water and boil. My quinces never dissolved and I kept adding more water and boiling until the juice looked viscous and tasted quince-like. Quinces are really high in natural pectin so you are just trying to extract that. Put them in another jelly bag and strain. It's best to do this the day before so you extract the maximum juice from the pulp.
Measure out the juice and put in a preserving pan. For ever cup of juice, you can add 1/2 to 1 cup of sugar, according to your taste. Boil to 221 degrees and pour into hot jars. Boil jars for 15 minutes.

Serve to your loved ones with hot, buttery biscuits and make them happy.

4 Comments:

At 8:26 PM, Blogger nysjal said...

Hooray for family pics! I tried my hand at making a tiny batch of cranberry sauce. Used meyer lemons, which was a good move, i think, but i boiled down the concoction too long. the result is a very stiff gelatinous "sauce." I guess I'll have to make up for it by opening your Paradise Jelly and spreading it on hot fresh biscuits!! :))

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Diana Pappas said...

Lee do you use lard or butter to make the biscuits? I tried making some a couple of weeks ago and used a combination of the two... was ok, but you're right, I need lots more practice!

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger leedav said...

Diana- When we first met, Sam used his Mom's recipe, shortening and all. I convinced him butter is better and now that's all we use. Biscuits are not easy. I recently made both biscuits and scones and the scones were great but Lili declared that her dad's biscuits are better. I guess I'll leave the biscuit making to him!

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger Diana Pappas said...

Lee, fyi I made biscuits last week, all butter, and they came out great! It's such a science, I look forward to continued improvement. Once I'm on my feet financially, I need to buy some preserves of yours to put on my biscuits!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home