Thursday, February 16, 2006

Frozen Gold


On a February day like today, with enough snow that not only schools were closed but Sam got to stay home from work, it's nice to have a well stocked freezer. Sungold tomatoes are a favorite summer treat. Sweet like candy, it's always a joy to feed them to a sungold virgin and watch their eyes light up. Lucky for me, I just happened to have a bag in the freezer. They sound like marbles as they hit the pan waiting with hot oil and crushed garlic. In the time it takes to cook pasta, I saute the tomatoes down with salt and a splash of vinegar. While the juice is reducing, I toss some chopped spinach in with the tomatoes. When the pasta is cooked and drained I throw it in the pan with the tomatoes, basil chiffonade, a few grinds of black pepper, french feta and a sprinkling of red pepper flakes. Summer can wait, it's time to go cross-country skiing.
Pssst! I'm not the only one who loves sungolds.

1 Comments:

At 4:31 PM, Blogger Sam said...

Ooh. Name-checking Saveur. How sophisticated you are.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home