Thursday, March 30, 2006

Rhubarb Smoothie


With farmer's market just around the corner, it's time to start using stuff up. Corn relish and frozen tomato sauced can hang around until the new crops come in but the rhubarb had to go. I pulled a bag from the freezer and defrosted it in a covered pan on low heat. When it was soft and juicy, I threw it in the blender and added sugar to taste. I had some buttermilk that was on the brink so I mixed that in. It was pretty thick but I like'em that way. You could thin it with oj or even just milk or water. It was tangy and delicious. And it'll be even better when the local strawberries are ready...

3 Comments:

At 7:13 PM, Blogger shuna fish lydon said...

Lee--

It appears that we are on EXACTLY the same page indeed! Tonight it is all about Rhubarb for me. I will be trying out three desserts and writing about the quizzical stalk!

Can you tell us exactly how you prepped it to freeze? (thanks)

 
At 8:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful and refreshing.

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger leedav said...

Shuna- I can't wait to read about your adventures with rhubarb. I tend not to freeze anything that requires extra prep like blanching because I'm usually running around like crazy all summer. If I plan well I use the IQF method (individually quick frozen) by spreading things out on a half sheet tray and freezing them overnight before putting them in ziplocs so it does't end up in one big block and you can remove just what you need for each recipe. Obviously, this only works if you have room for a tray in your freezer. This is one of the many reasons I am glad to have a huge chest freezer. For rhubarb, I chop it into 1/2 inch pieces first. Hope that helps.

Ivonne- Thanks! As a new food photographer I'm always pleased when I end up with a pretty picture.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home