Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Caramel Delight

The food cart season starts for me today and I literally feel like I'm getting on a roller coaster and I won't be able to get off until October. I am hopeful that things will be a little easier this year (knock on wood) since it is my second full season. I'm going to try to keep up with the food blogging but I can't make any promises. There will definitely be some posts about the cart.
For now, here's a little blurb about the ice cream I made with my new KitchenAid attachment. I used a recipe from Dana at Phat Duck but I chickened out. You are supposed to caramelize your sugar almost to the point of scorching blackness. This is a hard spot to reach and I have had many caramel disasters in my time, including burning parts of my own flesh, so I backed off too soon and my ice cream is only lightly caramelized. It was still delicious, though, and made perfect ice cream sandwiches on triple-chip cookies.And what to have with these treats? Hotdogs with cheddar, white onions, beer mustard and homemade corn relish and sandwich-sliced dill pickles on the side. Now I just want the 2 qts. to disappear quick so I can make more flavors. Who wants to come over for ice cream?

5 Comments:

At 12:15 PM, Blogger Tea said...

Lee--if I lived anywhere near you I would be showing up on your doorstep with a spoon. Ice cream is my favorite thing and yours looks delicious. I can't wait to read about your further adventures. Such fun.

Good luck with the cart!

 
At 6:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Caramel ice cream ... sigh!

I love caramel ... it looks gorgeous!

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Caramel is stressful! I usually chicken out and take it off the heat too early :)

Awesome ice cream. Yum.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Fiber said...

Count me in for the ice cream! And I agree with Ali - let us know more about the food cart!

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger Erin said...

I covet the KitchenAid ice cream attachment. Sigh.

Be brave with your caramel. I know it's hard, Chef and I have burned many a pot beyond recognition making it. The rich taste is worth the worry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home