Saturday, April 29, 2006

We have a long way to go...

I was at the farmer's market this morning picking up potatoes from the Engel Bros.when a customer stopped, picked up a potato and said, "Is this a "new" potato?" Noah said, "No, it's from last season". "Yeah, I know that but there's this kind of potato called a New potato."
We tried to explain to him that new potatoes are just the first harvested potatoes of the year but he walked away still insisting that a new potato is a variety of potato. Please don't argue with the potato grower! He and his brother have been growing potatoes since they were 9 and 11. They are younger than I am but I'm sure they know more about potatoes than you and I ever will!
It always catches me off guard when I am outside my small circle of foodie friends, restaurant cronies, and food bloggers how little general food knowledge there is out there. It's getting worse all the time. So keep cooking- or better yet, show someone else how to cook!
Since I have no other picture, here is the view from the food cart this morning at the farmer's market. Okay, so I was actually standing on the hood of my truck that was parked on the sidewalk next to the food cart, but you get the idea. Today was the Crazylegs 5 Mile Run and this is only a small section of the 13,000 runners. It was COLD today and even though I have run this race before I was very happy I wasn't running today. Check out the reflection of the capitol in the glass building.

4 Comments:

At 5:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you had a lot of people lined up at your food cart! ;)

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Susan in Italy said...

When I first saw this I thought it was a demonstration. Thanks for the mahlebi recipe. My (Greek) mother-in-law gave me some and I haven't known what to do with it until now. Also the definition. I would never have guessed they were cherry stones.

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Hahahaha! I was at the market once and heard one woman ask another, "What's this Bokchoy (pronounced as one word)? What do you think you do with it?" The other woman replies, "Oh, who knows with these foreign vegetables. Ooh, cheese curds!"

When I have a backyard, I'm totally planting some New Potatoes...

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger leedav said...

Sue- Yeah, too bad none of them wanted a breakfast burrito. :-(

Susan- Thanks for stopping by. I have more thoughts on the Mahlab which I will hopefully post soon. Try the bread, though. You won't be disappointed! I'd love to know how your MIL uses it.

Allison- Those foreign vegetables are my favorites! Even though I loved working at the farmer's market, I don't miss the silly questions.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home