Thursday, November 30, 2006

Cannibal Pigs

To celebrate the end of NaBloPoMo, Sam and I went out for ribs. Smoky Jon's is our favorite and has the added advantage of being one of the few restaurants worth patronizing near our house. Sam loves Smoky Jon's graphics. In the picture below the pig appears to be pouring BBQ sauce on his own belly while he lounges in the fire. In the photo above, he is salivating at the thought of chomping on some ribs. This is not a vegetarian friendly joint. After a thorough exploration of their offerings over the years, I've decided to just stick with the ribs. It is what they do best. Whatever you do, do not get the burrito. I don't know what I was thinking when I ordered this but this leftover meat wrapped in the saddest excuse for a tortilla I've ever seen will never pass my lips again. But the ribs, oh the ribs!Smoky Jon has won numerous national awards for his BBQ (and Emilio Estevez and Paula Abdul have eaten here, woohoo!) and though I've never been to Kansas City or Memphis, I think these ribs could compete with the best of them. His sauce sauce has that perfect balance of sweet and tang. The meat falls off the bone as you pick them up and has that pink tinge characteristic of well-smoked meat.
The only disappointment is the sides. I've thought about getting take-out ribs and coming home to eat them with my own baked beans and tasty coleslaw but instead I'm lazy and opt for the fries and usually the corn which has enough "butter" and black pepper to make it stangely tasty.
And now here's a picture of me because The Amateur Gourmet claims I can boost my readership by putting my picture on my blog. Hey, Amateur Gourmet are you looking?! I changed my masthead too! (Thanks to Sam for the html help.) I'm still in my hat and reserved-for-the-coldest-days-of-the-year-down-jacket because today it is COLD here. Yesterday, it was 40 degrees, today 16 degrees. Gotta love Wisconsin in the winter!

Whew! It's over! I don't quite know what I'll do with myself now that a good portion of every day is not spent cooking so that I have something to write about, taking pictures of food and reading what everyone else is writing about. Hmm...Maybe I'll finally get the preserving business off the ground? Stay tuned, the health dept. inspection is coming up.

Thanks to everyone who visited my blog this month. Special thanks to those who keep coming back. Witout you, I'd be nothing. And now back to our regularly scheduled program...

11 Comments:

At 2:50 PM, Blogger Sam said...

It's unnatural to eat your own kind.

 
At 3:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good point, Sam. I know I really enjoyed checking out the blog this month. Excellant finish.

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger leedav said...

ali- I'll still be around. The point of participating in this craziness was to get me back in the habit.

sam- I'm glad pigs don't eat each other- more for us!

jv- Thanks for stopping by and especially for commenting!

 
At 6:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi people
I do not know what to give for Christmas of the to friends, advise something ....

 
At 12:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. Good day
Who listens to what music?
I Love songs Justin Timberlake and Paris Hilton

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger Crystal said...

Today's the first time I've ever seen your blog and I really like it. I love cooking and writing about food! Now, when I get bored, I'm going to read your archives.

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger Skip said...

There you are! I thought that picture looked familiar. I'm definitely going to link here and visit.

Hope you are well,
Skip (The Man Formerly Known as Briana's Beau)

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Hmmm...lots of comments on this post, so maybe there's something to that "post a photo of yourself" thing. Although I'm not sure the anonymous comments are legit.

By the way, love the new masthead.

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger leedav said...

Crystal- Thanks for stopping by. It's nice to have Madison readers chime in!

Skip- Hey! Long time no see. I'm glad you found me.

Allison- I usually delete the spammers but these were kind of funny and didn't seem to be selling anything really. It's funny, now that the posting every day is over I'm actually getting more traffic. Just goes to show you that you shouldn't pay attention to your stats.

 
At 5:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more, I've always thought the barbecue signs that show the pig looking jolly, possibly wearing an apron or something, and welcoming folks to the barbecue joint, were a bit off-putting. But not off-putting enough to stop me enjoying the barbecue! This place sounds amazing, and I love your photo!

This is the first time I've visited your blog and I think it's great. (BTW, my husband got those same spam messages on his Billy Price blog this morning and I was wondering for a minute if they could possibly be legit!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home