Sunday, November 05, 2006

Chocolate banana, mmm...

This morning I had my good friend Jason over for coffee, scones and preserves. I'm dying to try some of the new kinds I've made but I can't really justify opening new jars until I work through the many that are already in my fridge. I made basic vanilla buttermilk scones so we could freely slather them with many flavors of jam or jelly.The options were Meyer lemon marmelade, strawberry, banana-coconut and the new pear-lemon-ginger. As predicted, the pear-lemon- ginger tastes much better on something other than straight from the spoon. I'm still not sure I'd make this again.
The problem with so many choices is that you don't use much of any one flavor and all of those jars still reside in my fridge. I'm thinking that when I start making stuff to sell, I need to look into some smaller jars (2 oz.?) because I can't be the only one who likes jam but doesn't want to eat the same flavor for months on end.
And then to complicate things, I made more.It may seem a little unorthodox to put chocolate in your jam but the recipe come from Christine Ferber and I have come to trust her completely. After the success of the pears Belle-Helene (pears and chocolate) and the chocolate raspberry, I am committed to making all of her chocolate concoctions. Even my friend Molly, who doesn't like fruit and chocolate, liked the chocolate raspberry. Next up, chocolate orange.

I am feeling a little unloved with the lack of comments so to sweeten the deal the fifth person to leave a comment on this post will receive a jar of chocolate banana (or another flavor if that doesn't suit you). The only rule is that you can't comment more than once in order to make yourself the winner.

7 Comments:

At 4:12 AM, Blogger Sam said...

f1rst p0st!!

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Michelle in Colorado Springs said...

I am not sure if chocolate banana sounds good, does it store well?

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger Tea said...

Well, I don't think I'm going to make it for #5, but let me just say that chocolate orange sounds like heaven!

 
At 6:51 AM, Blogger leedav said...

Michelle- If it doesn't sound good to you in any form then these preserves may not be for you. A chocolate banana smoothie is one of my favorite breakfasts so I was pretty sure I'd like it. Unopened they can be stored for years. I'm still working through some pear chocolate that I made in 2004. In the fridge, it will last at least a few weeks.

Tea- I'll send you a jar anyway when I get around to making it. We should do the blogging by mail thing that we talked about next summer- it'd be better to anounce it in May anyway. Are you game?

To anyone else- My comments do not count in the race (man, this is one slow race!) to get to #5!

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Aw, so close to #5! Actually, I have too many open jars in my fridge right now, too. I was trying to save the chocolate raspberry for after I'd finished the raspberry-peach (which is so yum on waffles), but that didn't work out for me, as I had some leftover scones from a baby shower that desperately needed chocolate raspberry influence.

I have a nice chocolate truffle recipe that uses preserves, if you need to use some up. I also have a fantastic cinnamon roll recipe that uses marmalade as a glaze. Tea breads with a preserve/jam swirl, topping for cheesecake, filling for layer cake, petit fours, linzertorte variations, those jam thumbprint cookies...You just need to coordinate your jam and baking efforts :) Hey...maybe that could be part of your preserves business, foods that are made with your preserves.

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger leedav said...

Ali- Gee, I was hoping for someone who hadn't tried my stuff before but what can I do if my friends are clamoring for more preserves?!

Allison- Yeah, that's why I am excited about selling them online and at farmer's markets because I can post recipes or tell people what I like to do with them. I think people onely think of putting stuff on toast but there's so much else.

 
At 1:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home