Monday, December 04, 2006

I'm a fool for syllabub.

I served this at the end of a Morrocan feast but I think it would be a great way to finish Christmas dinner. I've made flavored whipped cream before but there is so much liquid in this recipe that I couldn't believe the cream would still whip.
As you can see by the picture, I did not end up with a soupy mess. (I read that the traditional way to serve this is to let it sit in the fridge overnight so it seperates a little and then you drink it.) This dessert defies description. I've been sitting here way to long trying to think of a clever way to describe the texture and flavor (like whipped cream but DIFFERENT and BETTER! Like the best creamsicle ever!). You can see my problem. I'm just going to leave it at this: I have never made something this easy that tasted this good. It has to be tried to be believed.

Turkish Delight Syllabub from Nigella Bites

3/4 c. Mandarine Napoleon (or other orange liqueur)
juice of 2 lemons
8 Tbsp. sugar
2 1/2 c. heavy cream
2 Tbsp. orange flower water
2 Tbsp. rosewater (optional- I forgot to bring it but didn't miss it)
2 Tbsp. shelled pistachios, finely chopped

In the bowl of a Kitchenaid mixer, combine the liqueur, lemon juice, and sugar. Begin mixing on low and slowly add the cream. As it begins to thicken turn it up to medium speed. It will take much longer to whip than regular whipped cream. When the cream is thick enough to hold its shape, add the orange flower water. Continue mixing until the cream holds soft peaks. Serve in decorative glasses with pistachios sprinkled on top. An Anna's orange cookie on the side makes an ideal vehicle for scooping this into your mouth.

Check out these syllabubs from other bloggers:
Lemon Raspberry from The Domestic Goddess
Lime from Habeas Brulee

3 Comments:

At 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks so good. And orange- my favorite! Could I use Grand Marnier?

 
At 4:39 PM, Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Oh, yum! I can't believe it, but we actually have Mandarine Napolean :) Would this be nice in mini tartlet shells?

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger leedav said...

Ali- Yes! I could even see eating this WITH pumpkin pie!

Sue- If you already have Grand Marnier, go for it. The recipe called for Cointreau but the Mandarine was cheaper and the lovely folks at Star Liquor assured me that it was quality stuff.

Allison- It would be divine in mini tart shells. I'm thinking about trying to freeze it. It would be like a semi-freddo with all that booze in it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home